Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Warp speed? Not so much.

Sci-fi today. Those of you that know me know that I'm a big nerd. Those of you that know me well love me for it. In any case, I thought that today I'd write about some of the books and authors that I like as well as a theme or two that I think is interesting or mentally very difficult. Continue at your own peril.

Within the realm of Science Fiction there are several sub-genres and its offshoot cousin, Fantasy. Fantasy will be discussed in a later post; it requires more room than I care to devote right now. Hard (read: strict) sci-fi is to me the most interesting as its the most grounded in science. Most of this seems to take place in the near future, or involves alternate timelines that are entirely plausible. Stephen Baxter and Arthur C. Clarke are two fine examples of masters of this sub-genre. Far into the future writing is also an area that interests me, as it shows what humanity MIGHT be capable of if we can get past our petty differences and squabbles.  

The actual science behind the writing is also fascinating to me. Subjects like string theory are amazing. Google the phrase and prepare to be knocked on your ass, and a gold star to the first person who can produce a 3 dimensional Mobius strip. 

Overall, favorite authors: Baxter, Clarke, Neal Stephenson, Orson Scott Card, Dan Simmons, Kevin J. Anderson, Greg Bear

Going to try and do a podcast on Friday, so look for a link to that in this space. Until then, don't let the sun catch you cryin'.
Mr. B. 

No comments: