Monday, March 2, 2009

It's Not This, It's That

Well, second post in as many days. I think this is some kind of record for me. Going to talk about photography for a brief bit, although I think this could apply to many different aspects of you're life, technology and otherwise. 

Manufacturers and their marketing ilk have been pushing megapixel resolution down the throats of consumers for well on 10 years now. "The more, the better!" seems to be the catch phrase in the office. But its not what you shoot, its how you shoot it. In other words, it is better to have a nicer lens on your camera (if you're using a point and shoot camera, you may as well skim this; the rest doesn't apply) and lower resolution than a crappy lens and higher resolution. That said, the mid point seems to be about 8 MP. If you have that you are probably using a camera that has some nice features, does well in low light, and you haven't shelled out the big bucks for features you WON'T use. 

Other tech stuff: There's some interesting netbooks coming out soon or are already out. Asus has one thats all touch screen. Very nice, if they can keep the price reasonable. Another company, Always Innovating, has one with an optional keyboard and a back thats magnetic. Cool!

Anyone use Netflix? Ok, so thats all of you. How many use the streaming? Does yours work? Because I did the upgrade (read:I was forced to upgrade the media player) and now I can't stream anything through my account. I'm hoping they get this fixed soon and I know its not my computer because everything else works just fine. 

As a side note, check out Adam Carolla's podcast. Or don't. I just think he's funny and insightful, although I know some people don't like the sound of his voice (you know who you are!). Warning: the podcast may be NSFW. You've been warned.

That's it for now, kids. Don't be late for your next class.
Mr. B.

1 comment:

Krista said...

I do know who I am! :P

Also, I have streamed Netflix on my computer back when it first started and it was very in and out, but I love having an xbox because i can stream movies through that and it works great most of the time. There are occasional little glitches.